Bensenville Illinois History
Bensenville's history is rich and diverse, and its roads and trails today were once Indian trails. His Indian heritage survives in his schools called Tioga, Mohawk, Blackhawk and Chippewa, all in the same building on the corner of Main Street and Main Avenue, south of the railroad tracks. Other schools were built in names that reflect the presence of early Indians, such as Bensen County High School and Indian School.
The former high school became Chippewa Elementary School, and today's Blackhawk Middle School opened in 1965 on Church Road.
The high school was bought by the district two years later and named Blackhawk Junior High School, with Vivian Turner as its first principal. The construction of the new grammar schools began in 1942, and Friedrich Fenton was Superintendent thereafter, a position he held until his death in 1943. A new building was erected and was named "Fenton Community High School." In 1944, Fred C. F. Benton became the school inspector while continuing to teach high school classes at Green Street School.
In summary, Bensenville High School was founded as a two-year high school in 1917-1924, and District 2 was formed in 1924 after the village of B Jensenville was incorporated.
In the early 1870s, Henry Schuette and his brother-in-law Robert Rselle bought the land that would later become Bensenville. In 1872, they bought Dunklee Grove, which they then divided, and in 1873 he renamed the town Jensenville after his son. By 1884, enough settlers and businesses had been established to name it after a town in Germany called "Bensen," which was incorporated in 1884.
The Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad began operating between Chicago and Elgin, with stops in the area, and farmers brought their dairy products to Chicago via what is now Irving Park Road and Grand Avenue. The line continued until 1873, when a railroad from Chicago reached the village known as Bensenville. By 1874, 300,000 gallons of milk were already being transported from Jensenville and Chicago to Chicago each year.
Farmers from a wide geographical area, including those living on Washington Island in Wisconsin, shipped their potatoes for processing and shipment through their Bensenville farm to Edward J. Anderson's Potato Factory, located on Green Street and County Line Road. Mexican - American migrant workers and Campbell's Soup Company have signed a contract with farmers north of Irving Park Road to grow tomatoes harvested by their workers and hauled to Chicago.
From 1946, Douglas' Old Orchard was transformed into what was soon to be called O'Hare Field. Many of the buildings not incorporated into Bensenville were relocated or demolished to build O'the Hare Airport, which began commercial domestic operations in 1955.
Private interests began building plank roads west of Chicago in the 1840s, on the route of Russia and Canada. Stage roads that connected Chicago, Elgin, Galena and Plank Streets parallel to Irving Park Road encouraged travel, trade and settlement throughout the region. The development of Bensenville, together with the construction of O'the Hare Airport, also contributed to this growth and provided insight into the role of transportation in the future of our community.
Most significantly, Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul built a roundabout and freight station in Bensenville in 1916. In 1959, the Mohawk Country Club became part of a 700-acre industrial park purchased by the Chicago-Milwaukee-Pacific Railroad.
The property of the National Register of Historic Places, owned by the City of Elmhurst, is now under the control of the Elmurst Historical Society, which is owned and managed by the Elmhurst History Museum. Visitors can enter the Museum of American History building, built around 1846 and registered in the National Register of Historic Places in the United States and Canada.
The school is located in what is now Bensenville, formerly unincorporated DuPage County, on the site of a former two-story brick building. The old schoolhouse was given a new lease of life in 1988 when members of the Fischer family transferred the property to School District 205 in Elmhurst.
The successor preacher of the Germans at Dunklee Grove was Francis Arnold Hoffmann (1840-1847), and the congregation, now known as the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Congregation, received its first membership in March 1856 from the Missouri Synod, which had been organized in Chicago in 1847. Pastor Hoffman remained in Bensenville until 1848, when he was admitted to the Lutheran Church in America, the first Lutheran Church in the United States.
Pastor Hoffman was succeeded by Ernst August Brauer (1847 - 1857), who was ordained and installed in Dunklee Grove on 15 December 1847. Rev. A.G. Francke took over the leadership of the Zion congregation, which was founded in Bensenville in 1856, the first year of its existence. He was appointed vicar until Traugott John Grosse, who had served as a professor at Addison Teachers Seminary, was appointed as his successor.